CAS 89-83-8 Quick Details
Product Name: Thymol
Other name: 2-Isopropyl-5-methyl phenol; 5-Methyl-2-(1-methylethyl)phenol
Chemical formula: C10H14O
Molecular Weight: 150.22
Appearance: White crystal powder
CAS 89-83-8 Typical Properties
|1||Appearance||White crystal powder|
|2||Odour||with the lasting hot smell|
|6||Solubility||1g soluble in 1ml 95% ethanol|
|7||Content||total thymol ≥99%|
What is thymol ?
Thymol, the scientific name is 5-methyl-2-isopropylphenol, 3-hydroxy-p-isopropyltoluene. White crystal with aroma. The relative density is 0.979, the melting point is 48-51 ° C, the boiling point is 233 ° C, and the refractive index is 1.5227. Slightly soluble in water, soluble in ethanol, carbon disulfide, chloroform, glacial acetic acid, ether and volatile oils. Thymol is widely used as a food flavoring, preservative, fungicide and antioxidant. It is also a primary raw material for the synthesis of many chemicals, such as thymol hydrogenation to menthol. There are two main sources of thymol: one is extracted from natural products (thyme oil, oregano oil, basil oil), and the other is obtained by artificial synthesis.
CAS 89-83-8 Usage
1. The bactericidal action of thymol is stronger than phenol, and its toxicity is low. It has bactericidal and fungicidal effects on the oral throat and mucous membrane. It has antiseptic and local anesthetic effect on the molar cavity. It is used for disinfection of the mouth and throat, dermatophytosis. , radiation sickness and otitis.
2. It can promote tracheal ciliary movement, is conducive to the secretion of tracheal mucus, easy to sputum, plus bactericidal effect, it can be used to treat bronchitis, whooping cough and so on.
3. It has a strong killing effect. The 1% solution has a 100% mortality rate for half an hour, and the 0.03% solution kills 100% for 24 hours. Can also be used as an insecticide.
4. In addition, thymol can also be used as an antioxidant to identify specific reagents for titanium nitride and a comparison benchmark for thymol blue. Thymol is a natural active ingredient with high safety, easy availability, stable chemical properties, low toxicity and easy degradation in the environment. These characteristics are in line with the development requirements of biological pesticides.
5. There is a thymol bactericide, which has a long-lasting effect on watermelon powdery mildew, tomato gray mold, citrus acute anthracnose, pepper blight, eggplant verticillium and other diseases. The fungicide is low in toxicity, environmentally friendly, safe and harmless, and is a fungicide with very good market application prospects.
CAS 89-83-8 Packaging
25kg/fiber drum or as customer’s requirement.
CAS 89-83-8 Storage
Keep in cool, dry and shading place.