Methyl Salicylate Quick Details
Chemical Name: Methyl salicylate
CAS No.: 119-36-8
Molecular Formula: C8H8O3
Molecular weight: 152.15
Appearance: Colourless or light yellow liquid
Methyl salicylate Typical Properties
|Solubility||2ml product can entirely dissolve in 10ml alcohol (96%)|
What is methyl salicylate?
Methyl salicylate, also known as wintergreen oil and methyl salicylate, can be obtained by steaming stalks of wintergreen leaves produced in Canada and Yunnan, China. It is topical sputum, which can promote blood circulation in this part. For muscle pain, joint pain, and neuralgia. It can also be used as a raw material for organic syntheses, such as toothpaste, mouthwash fragrance, and soap essence and food flavor.
Methyl salicylate uses
1. Methyl salicylate ointment is a common dermatological drug with analgesic, anti-inflammatory and bactericidal effects. It can produce local irritation and is rarely taken orally. It is easy to absorb on the skin. Its tincture and ointment can be used for acute rheumatoid arthritis, low back pain and muscle pain. It can also be used for itching. It can also be used as a flavoring agent, a fragrance, and a preservative.
2. This product has a strong odor similar to wintergreen, and is often used as a scenting agent in pharmaceutical preparations, such as medicinal preparations and medicinal preparations, in the blending of general flavors such as eucalyptus. There are also applications, and other drugs such as chewing gum and mouthwash are also used.
3. Methyl salicylate is also used as a solvent and intermediate for the manufacture of insecticides, fungicides, perfumes, coatings, cosmetic inks and fiber dyeing agents.
4. Methyl salicylate reacts with ammonia to form salicylamide, which is used in the production of antipyretic analgesic ethyl salicylamine. Salicylamide itself is also an antipyretic analgesic.
5. Methyl acetylsalicylate (C10H10O4, [580-02-9]) can be obtained by acetylation of methyl salicylate.
6. Put methyl salicylate and acetic anhydride into the reaction pot, add sulfuric acid under stirring, the reaction temperature does not exceed 60 ° C, about 1 h, the reaction is completed, the reaction product is poured into ice water to precipitate crystals, filtered, washed with water, dried, ie Named methyl acetylsalicylate.
7. Acetylsalicylic acid can be prepared by cyclization of 4-hydroxycoumarin. Methyl salicylate is used as a medicine for external use
Methyl Salicylate Packaging and Shipping
25 kgs or 200 L drum;
Methyl Salicylate Storage
Notes: Keep stored in cool, dry conditions in well sealed containers.